Cabbage is a common food that we have around the house; this often results in people with hamsters asking “Can hamsters eat cabbage?”. The answer is yes! Cabbage is a highly recommended food for your hamster. Syrian hamsters, Winter White, Campbell, Robo and Chinese hamsters can all have this treat!
Can Hamsters Eat Cabbage?
As stated before, hamsters do absolutely love cabbage! It is a delicious snack and your hamster will thank you for it! It is safe for your hamster as long as you feed them a certain quantity and don’t go above that quantity! Cabbage can improve your hamster’s diet and therefore help to improve your hamster’s lifespan. Syrian, Robo, and dwarf hamsters can all eat cabbage!
How to give your hamster Cabbage
When you are giving treats, such as cabbage, to your hamster, always make sure you are holding them or make sure that you are close to them. This is because giving treats to your hamster can strengthen your bond and assist in socializing them. Only give a small amount to your hamster at first, this is to figure out if they like cabbage. There’s no point giving your hamster a lot of cabbage if they just ignore it!
Make sure that you wash the cabbage beforehand. This gets rid of any of the chemicals that may have been on the cabbage to protect it whilst it was growing. Pesticides can hurt your hamster’s health. Make sure to chop it into small pieces as well! This prevents there from being a choking risk.
How much cabbage should I give my hamster
The serving of cabbage to your hamster depends on their breed.
How much cabbage can I give a Syrian hamster
Syrian hamsters are the largest breed of hamster and therefore can be given a lot more cabbage. You can feed them around half a teaspoon of cabbage two times a week.
How much cabbage can I give a Dwarf hamster
Campbell Dwarf hamsters, Chinese hamsters and Winter White hamsters are smaller than Syrians and should be given a smaller quantity of cabbage. Feed them around one inch of cabbage every 10 days. These hamsters are smaller than Syrian hamsters and therefore can only tolerate a smaller amount of cabbage without getting health problems
Can hamsters eat all forms of cabbage?
Hamsters are able to eat all forms of cabbage that you give them. This includes:
- Savoy cabbage. Hamsters can eat savoy cabbage
- White cabbage. Hamsters can eat white cabbage
- Red cabbage. Hamsters can eat red cabbage
- Napa cabbage. Hamsters can eat Napa cabbage
- Purple cabbage. Hamsters can eat purple cabbage
Make sure that you follow the recommended guidelines above when you are feeding your hamster cabbage. Too much cabbage can still hurt a hamster!
Benefits of cabbage
There are plenty of benefits to cabbage that mean that your hamster will love eating it. These benefits are only present if you feed them the right amount, however.
- Cabbage contains Vitamins K and C, as well as antioxidants and dietary fibres.
- Vitamin C removes toxins from your hamster and improves their overall health. It maintains its bones and teeth as well.
- Vitamin K plays a role in blood clotting and will improve your hamster’s circulation. This will improve their health.
- Antioxidants are extremely beneficial in helping to prevent cancer and other conditions that come as your hamster ages. This makes cabbage extremely beneficial for hamsters.
- Dietary fibres maintain your hamster’s digestive system.
Risks of cabbage
Make sure that you don’t feed your hamster too much cabbage. Hamsters do like to eat cabbage but only a small amount.
- Feeding above the recommended amount can lead to stomach troubles and diarrhoea
- Large amounts of cabbage can be a choking hazard
- Too much cabbage can dehydrate your hamster
- Unwashed cabbage can contain pesticides which can hurt your hamster
Can hamsters eat all parts of the cabbage?
We recommend only feeding the leaves of the cabbage to your hamster. The cabbage stem is quite hard to chew on and they may not like it. There’s no inherent health risks to giving Syrian Hamsters a bit of stem to try though. Avoid giving dwarf hamsters the stem due to the size, it could be a choking hazard
So in conclusion, hamsters do love cabbage! All breeds of hamster can eat cabbage, just in different quantities. Savoy cabbage, white cabbage, red cabbage, purple cabbage, and napa cabbage are all safe for your hamster to eat.