Fish is extremely delicious! It’s been eaten since humans walked the earth and its just as lovely now and it was back then! We love fish, but do hamsters love fish? To be exact, can hamsters eat fish? The answer is yes! Hamsters do absolutely love fish and you can give them a little bit. However, you need to make sure that you are aware of the benefits, risks and how much to give them. This is to protect their health.
What is Fish?
We’ve all eaten fish during our time on this earth. There’s so many different types! Cod, haddock and trout are some of my favourite types of fish, and hamsters will be interested in these types of fish as well! China, Indonesia and India produce the most fish by far! This delicious animal will be fantastic for your furry friend!
Can Hamsters Eat Fish?
As stated before, absolutely! This delicious seafaring animal can be a delicious treat for your hamster. You just need to make sure that you feed it in the right amounts! It has a lot of fat and it isn’t something that they would eat in the wild, so make sure to follow our quantity guides! You also need to make sure that the fish is:
- Unsalted – Salt can seriously hurt your hamster’s health
- Cooked – We might be able to eat raw fish, but our hamsters can’t!
- Boneless – They could choke on the bones!
If the fish follows these criteria, you might be able to feed it to your hamster.
How to feed fish to your hamster.
When you are giving treats, such as fish, to your hamster, always make sure you are holding them or make sure that you are close to them. This is because giving treats to your hamster can strengthen your bond and assist in socializing them. Only give a small amount to your hamster at first, this is to figure out if they like cashew. There’s no point giving your hamster a lot of it if they just ignore it! Your hamster might put the food in their cheek poaches though.
Make sure that the fish is cooked though! Humans can eat raw fish, like sushi, but your furry friends cannot.
How much Fish can you give your Hamster?
The amount of fish that a hamster can eat depends on their breed. Syrians can eat more than Robos. Dwarfs can only eat a tiny amount! This is due to their size and the strength of their digestive system! Dwarfs simply cannot handle it in large amounts.
How much Fish to give to your Syrian Hamster
Your Syrian will absolutely love fish, but you need to make sure that they only have a small amount! Give your Syrian around a teaspoon of fish every week! This is enough that they can enjoy it but that they aren’t harmed!
How much Fish to give to your Robo Hamster
Robos are smaller than Syrians, this means that they can’t have as much fish as Syrian hamsters. Give your Robo Hamster around a teaspoon of fish every other week! Make sure not to give them anymore though!
How much Fish to give to your Dwarf Hamster
Winter White dwarf hamsters, Chinese hamsters and Campbell Dwarf hamsters can only eat one teaspoon of fish a month. This is because these hamsters are so tiny! They simply cannot handle a lot!
Benefits of Fish
There’s plenty of benefits to fish which your hamster will benefit from! The US government see it as a delicious healthy food which can help your health, and the same applies for hamsters! Some of the benefits of fish include:
- Protein – This helps your hamster grow big and strong!
- Omega3 – These fatty acids assist your furry friend’s long term health.
- Iodine – This helps protect against some forms of cancer in your pet.
- Vitamin D – This helps your hamster’s bones stay nice and healthy!
Risks of Fish
Although there are clear benefits to giving fish to your furry friend, there are also some risks to feeding this to your hamster. These risks mainly occur when too much of this food is given to your furry friends! These risks include:
- Obesity – Too much fish can make your hamster fat and obese. This is because of the high levels of fat which are contained within fish. Overfeeding can simply result in serious problems!
- Nutritional issues – Fish, fed in high enough quantities, can result in nutritional issues. This is because fish doesn’t contain all of the nutrients that a hamster needs. It can fill them up and that means that they can’t eat what they need.
- Choking – Fish bones can cause death by choking if hamsters eat too much. Many humans have died by choking on fishbones, don’t let your hamster add to the death count!
- Acidity – The omega 3 acids can cause problems for your hamster. It can cause digestive problems if overfed to your pet. Stick to the quantities that we discussed!
What type of fish can your hamster eat?
There’s so many different types of fish, therefore you need to look at the different specifics on this question! Let’s look at the different types and if your furry friend can eat it!
Can Hamsters eat battered fish?
Absolutely not! Battered fish is simply too full of calories and fat to give to your pet. Stick to oven-cooked, unflavoured fish.
Can Hamsters eat Raw Fish?
As discussed before, no. All meat that is given to your hamster needs to be cooked beforehand.
Can Hamsters eat Fish Fingers
Fish fingers are sadly not possible for hamsters to eat. The batter on them is filled with calories that hamsters shouldn’t eat.
Can Hamsters eat Fish Sticks
We don’t recommend feeding fish sticks, also known as crab sticks, to your hamster. They have all kinds of added chemicals that could do serious damage to your hamster’s fragile body.
So, we know that hamsters can absolutely eat fish. You just need to be careful. Make sure that you only feed your hamster a small amount of this meat depends on what breed they are. You also need to be aware of the benefits and risks that come with feeding your furry friend fish. Remember that too much fish can result in obesity and failure to debone the fish can result in your hamster choking.
Have you fed your hamster fish before? What has been your experience. Let us know in the comments!